Home > Trump Forgoes Trip Ahead Of Potential Shutdown

News
Trump Forgoes Trip Ahead Of Potential Shutdown

Description

With the government careening toward a partial shutdown, President Donald Trump canceled plans to depart on Friday for Mar-a-Lago, according to an internal White House email and a White House official. The delay in Trump’s planned departure is the latest sign that his dispute with Democrats in Congress over spending for a border wall is likely to force much of the government to shut down at midnight tonight, despite ongoing efforts to reach a compromise.

Added on the 21/12/2018 16:42:50 - Copyright : Wochit

To customise your video :

Or Create an account

More videos on the subject

  • Trump Seeks To Move Ahead With Big Speech Despite Pelosi Shutdown Concerns

    President Donald Trump on Tuesday attempted to move ahead with planning for a State of the Union speech to the U.S. Congress on Jan. 29. This, despite pressure from Democrats to delay it due to the government shutdown, as his immigration proposal suffered a blow from the U.S. Supreme Court.

    22/01/2019 - Wochit
  • Trump cancels US delegation's trip to Davos over government shutdown

    The White House has announced that the US will not send a delegation to next week's World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland. It's the latest in a series of high-profile cancellations - French President Emmanuel Macron and British Prime Minister Theresa May are also skipping the summit as they grapple with domestic issues. Plus, Nissan and Mitsubishi say ousted former boss Carlos Ghosn "improperly" received nearly €8 million in compensation from a joint venture set up in 2017.

    18/01/2019 - France 24 EN
  • In Light Of Shutdown Trump Cancels Trip To World Economic Forum

    President Donald Trump has canceled his delegation’s trip to the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, next week due to the partial U.S. government shutdown, according to a statement released by Press Secretary Sarah Sanders on Thursday. Trump, who attended last year’s Davos event, had planned to go again this year but pulled out last week as he grapples with Democrats in Congress over funding for a wall on the border with Mexico that has led to a partial shutdown of the government. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo were expected to lead the U.S. delegation in Trump’s place, two senior administration officials said this week. “Out of consideration for the 800,000 great American workers not receiving pay and to ensure his team can assist as needed, President Trump has canceled his delegation’s trip to the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland,” Sanders’s statement said. Mnuchin and Pompeo had planned to speak jointly to the opening session of the forum on Jan. 22. They were also expected to jointly host a dinner of the Group of Seven foreign and finance ministers to discuss national security and economic issues. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross and U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer also planned to be part of the delegation.

    18/01/2019 - Wochit
  • President Trump Cancels Upcoming Trip In Light Of Shutdown

    U.S. President Donald Trump on Thursday canceled a planned visit to the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, later this month amid a shutdown of the federal government, signaling he was prepared for the political showdown to stretch into late January. It was unclear whether the partial government shutdown, now in its 20th day, would end before the start of the global economic meeting, which is scheduled for Jan. 22 to 25. Trump and congressional Democrats are in a battle over funding for the government and Trump’s long-promised wall along the U.S.-Mexico border. “Because of the Democrats intransigence on Border Security and the great importance of Safety for our Nation, I am respectfully cancelling my very important trip to Davos, Switzerland for the World Economic Forum,” Trump wrote on Twitter. SPONSORED The president had told reporters at the White House earlier on Thursday that he intended to speak at the forum but would not attend if the shutdown continued. The cancellation quashes any opportunity for Trump to meet with other world leaders about economic issues, including trade. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin still planned to go to Davos, leading a small U.S. delegation there, said a source familiar with the planning. The Trump administration is engaged in trade talks with the European Union and China, among others. China and the United States have agreed to a 90-day pause in implementing tariffs in order to hammer out a trade deal. China’s vice president, Wang Qishan, was expected to attend the Swiss meeting, but it was unclear whether any talks had been planned between him and Trump. Reporting by Steve Holland; Writing by Lisa Lambert and Susan Heavey; Editing by Bernadette Baum and Peter Cooney Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles. MORE FROM REUTERS SKIP AD SPONSORED SPONSORED SPONSORED SPONSORED

    10/01/2019 - Wochit
  • Enfants fauchés à Lorient : Killian, le chauffard, interpellé

    La fuite de Killian L-R a pris fin. Le jeune homme de 20 ans a été arrêté ce mardi dans un hôtel de la zone industrielle de Lanester, dans le Morbihan. C’est le personnel de l’établissement qui a reconnu le suspect grâce à l’appel à témoins qui avait été diffusé par les enquêteurs. La police a été aussitôt prévenue. Killian L-R. a été interpellé dans le cadre du mandat d’arrêt émis contre lui. En conséquence, il n’a pas été placé en garde à vue mais va être directement présenté à un juge en vue de sa mise en examen.Retrouvez l'info en temps réel avec Le Parisien : >> http://www.leparisien.fr/#xtor=AL-1481423430

    18/06/2019 - Le Parisien