Home > UN Chief Warns That Political Will To Fight Climate Change Appears To Be Fading

News
UN Chief Warns That Political Will To Fight Climate Change Appears To Be Fading

Description

According to a report by Huffpost, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said that the political will to fight climate change appears to be fading as things continue to get worse for those already feeling the effects. Guterres reportedly accused countries of not living up to their commitments under the 2016 Paris Agreement to keep global temperature rise to less than 2 degrees Celsius about pre-industrial levels.

Added on the 12/05/2019 10:13:15 - Copyright : Wochit

To customise your video :

Or Create an account

More videos on the subject

  • New York Lawmakers Pass Aggressive Law to Fight Climate Change

    According to Reuters, New York state lawmakers passed one of the nation’s most ambitious plans to slow climate change by reducing greenhouse gas emissions to zero by 2050. If signed into law, it would make New York the second U.S. state to aim for a carbon-neutral economy. Before voting yes, assembly member Thomas Abinanti said, that the bill represents hope for the future. The measure would reduce emissions by 85% by 2050, and offsetting the remaining 15%, making the state carbon neutral.

    20/06/2019 - Wochit
  • World 'way off course' in climate change fight: UN chief

    The world is "way off course" in its plan to prevent catastrophic climate change, warns UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres at the COP24 climate talks, where world leaders are meeting to flesh out the promises agreed in the 2015 Paris climate accord. SOUNDBITE

    03/12/2018 - AFPTV - First images
  • EPA Chief Scott Pruitt Cites "Toxic" Political Environment As Reason He Flies First Class

    Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Scott Pruitt said that he regularly flies first class due to unspecified security concerns, which he argued are a result of a "toxic" political environment. According to federal regulations, agencies can authorize first-class travel only in rare circumstances, including when "use of coach class accommodations would endanger your life or government property." "We live in a very toxic environment politically, particularly around issues of the environment." The Washington Post reported Monday that Pruitt regularly spends thousands of taxpayer dollars on airfare, staying at upscale hotels, for trips that are often irrelevant to his work as a Cabinet official. Pruitt spent more than $1,600 on a first-class flight from Washington to New York last June to make two brief television appearances to promote the president's decision to withdraw from the Paris climate agreement.

    14/02/2018 - Wochit
  • Bill Gates Says Trump's Policies Impede Efforts To Fight Poverty, Illness, and Hunger

    In their latest annual letter about Bill and Melinda Gates' charitable work, the philanthropist duo answered ten of the questions they are most frequently asked. Bill Gates said that while topics range from education to climate change, the question they were asked more than all the other topics combined, was how President Trump's policies were affecting the foundation's work. In the annual letter, Bill Gates responded that proposed cuts to foreign aid would hamper efforts to fight poverty, illness, and hunger abroad. Gates wrote, "These efforts save lives. They also create US jobs. And they make Americans more secure by making poor countries more stable and stopping disease outbreaks before they become pandemics. The world is not a safer place when more people are sick or hungry."

    13/02/2018 - Wochit
  • MSNBC Contributor Says Trump Promotes 'Rape Culture'

    On Sunday, MSNBC political analyst Anand Giridharadas accused Donald Trump of promoting “rape culture” in the United States. In regards to Trump’s defense of former staff secretary Rob Porter, Giridharadas said, "This is a rape culture presidency and Donald Trump has become the commander in chief of American rape culture." In addition to Porter, a second Trump official, speechwriter David Sorensen, has also departed the West Wing over news from The Washington Post that he had been abusive towards his wife during their two-and-a-half year marriage.

    12/02/2018 - Wochit
  • Rentrée ministérielle : connaissez-vous vos ministres ?

    Les ministres font leur rentrée ce 21 août 2019. A cette occasion, nous avons interrogé des parisiens pour savoir s'ils reconnaissaient les visages les membres du gouvernement d'Edouard Philippe. Et le moins que l'on puisse dire, c'est que cela n'a pas été toujours une réussite Retrouvez l'info en temps réel avec Le Parisien : >> http://www.leparisien.fr/#xtor=AL-1481423430

    21/08/2019 - Le Parisien